Saturday, July 10, 2010

Poetry: Standing on the Edge of an Ocean

           Standing on the Edge of an Ocean

I stand on this ledge, watching.
          The Sun's final rays shine golden.
                    The waves crash below me.
                            The thunderous sound of water on jagged rock.

It is hard to tell whether I cry.
           The spray of the ocean mists me.
                       I stand here, on this ledge.
                                   It is a question of existence.

 My life has brought me here,
           To stand on the edge of the earth,
                      Watching the falling sun.
                                 Watching the waves wash everything away.

It is a question of existence,
         My standing here,
                    My hopeful observation.
                                  It is a question of why or why not.

My arms open wide to embrace this world.
         I close my eyes, realizing my tears.
                     At least the waves acknowledge me. 
                                When the time comes, they will offer a welcome.

A gull screeches and drops low on frothy mountains.
             The waves crash against jagged rock.
                        The sun shines its final light as I say goodbye.
                                    The question has been answered.

I turn from the white-capped mountains of blue.
       My bare feet navigate jagged rock.
                 I will come here again someday, to the waiting sea.
                        But for now my life awaits me, it welcomes me home.

No comments:

Post a Comment